: Smartphone touchscreen use altering brain activity

12-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Increasing use of smartphone touchscreens is altering brain activity in relation to fingertips, says a new study.

Researchers from Switzerland were intrigued to learn how peoples brains were responding to increased use of their thumbs and other fingertips due to smartphone usage. While other studies have focused on video gamers and motor skills, none had analyzed whether smartphone touchscreens have an effect on the brain in terms of the fingers.

"I was really surprised by the scale of the changes introduced by the use of smartphones," said Arko Ghosh of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich in Switzerland, in the study published in Current Biology.

Ghosh and his colleagues wanted to examine the everyday plasticity, or adaptability, of the human brain in relation to fingertip use.

I think first we must appreciate how common personal digital devices are and how densely people use them, Ghosh said.

Sensitive thumb:

Neuroscientists used electroencephalography (EEG) to track the brain response to mechanical touch on the thumb, index and middle fingertips of touchscreen phone users compared to users who used older cellphones ones without touchscreens.

Researchers discovered that smartphone users' brain activity in the cortex the part associated with thumb and index fingertips was directly proportional to the intensity of phone use.

They then compared that to the phone's battery logs to see how much that person had been using their smartphone or cellphone.

The more a person used their phone, the more the brain activity associated with the thumb tip surged, whether or not that thumb was using a touchscreen or not.

Sensory processing in the contemporary brain is continuously shaped by personal digital technology," Ghosh and his team concluded.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smartphone-touchscreen-use-altering-brain-activity-1.2883753

would you agree with that??

12-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Increasing use of smartphone touchscreens is altering brain activity in relation to fingertips, says a new study.

Researchers from Switzerland were intrigued to learn how peoples brains were responding to increased use of their thumbs and other fingertips due to smartphone usage. While other studies have focused on video gamers and motor skills, none had analyzed whether smartphone touchscreens have an effect on the brain in terms of the fingers.

"I was really surprised by the scale of the changes introduced by the use of smartphones," said Arko Ghosh of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich in Switzerland, in the study published in Current Biology.

Ghosh and his colleagues wanted to examine the everyday plasticity, or adaptability, of the human brain in relation to fingertip use.

I think first we must appreciate how common personal digital devices are and how densely people use them, Ghosh said.

Sensitive thumb:

Neuroscientists used electroencephalography (EEG) to track the brain response to mechanical touch on the thumb, index and middle fingertips of touchscreen phone users compared to users who used older cellphones ones without touchscreens.

Researchers discovered that smartphone users' brain activity in the cortex the part associated with thumb and index fingertips was directly proportional to the intensity of phone use.

They then compared that to the phone's battery logs to see how much that person had been using their smartphone or cellphone.

The more a person used their phone, the more the brain activity associated with the thumb tip surged, whether or not that thumb was using a touchscreen or not.

Sensory processing in the contemporary brain is continuously shaped by personal digital technology," Ghosh and his team concluded.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/smartphone-touchscreen-use-altering-brain-activity-1.2883753

would you agree with that??

Dear Brother Mohammad

As a muslim I do believe in that and agree with that 100% because Allah mentioned in his holy book - the Quran - He said

(Does man think that We will not assemble his bone(3

(4) Yes We are Able to proportion his fingertips

In other verses said

We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. But is it not sufficient concerning your Lord that He is, over all things, a Witness

Thank Brother for bring such researchs like that

12-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Dear Brother Mohammad

As a muslim I do believe in that and agree with that 100% because Allah mentioned in his holy book - the Quran - He said

(Does man think that We will not assemble his bone(3

(4) Yes We are Able to proportion his fingertips

In other verses said

We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. But is it not sufficient concerning your Lord that He is, over all things, a Witness

Thank Brother for bring such researcher like that

Hey Bro!
Firstly, I don't disagree with the holy Qaran. Yes scientists couldn't wholly prove what Qaran says.

Secondly, my point is, does Smartphone make brain activity much better?

I think concentration in electronic devices (which includes smartphones) affect in mental effort.

Lastly, I would thank you for reading.

12-28-2014, 04:50 PM
I disagree with the study because all man made electronics affects the brain somehow

12-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Hey Bro!
Firstly, I don't disagree with the holy Qaran. Yes scientists couldn't wholly prove what Qaran says.

Secondly, my point is, does Smartphone make brain activity much better?

I think concentration in electronic devices (which includes smartphones) affect in mental effort.

Lastly, I would thank you for reading.

Hi Brother Mohammad

You misunderstand me

Fristly: I didn't say that you disagree with holy Quran

Secondly: the study is not about the electronic devices and the brain activity, the brain activity will change when you think, read, look and see. it's about relation between specific device, fingertips and the brain activity.

As I mentioned before the brain activity will change when you think, read, look and see

Lastly: I hope that you get the missing points

once again thank you

12-28-2014, 05:14 PM

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I disagree with the study because all man made electronics affects the brain somehow

Dear Dr. Saif

Would you pls read carefuly the above mentioned paragraph of the study, and give us your comments

12-28-2014, 07:33 PM
In fact, the amount of activity in the cortex of the brain associated with the thumb and index fingertips was directly proportional to the intensity of phone use, as quantified by built-in battery logs.

PLease read Khaleej Times news paper at the following link

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=/data/technology/2014/December/technology_December39.xml&section=technology

12-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Broo, I wouldn't have shared the study, if I didn't read it.
And then again both sites saying the same!

12-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Sensitive thumb:

[/SIZE]

Broo, I wouldn't have shared the study, if I didn't read it.
And then again both sites saying the same!

Please read the above quoted